Saturday, February 26, 2011

Canada

The grade 3 students, as part of our Social Studies curriculum, are learning about Canada, its land, culture and people.  As an introduction to the unit, I showed the students a video created by CTV and shared at the closing news broadcast for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.  For me, so much of Canada, our people and culture was in this video, so it seemed fitting to share it with the students on the 1st anniversary of the 2010 Olympic Games.


After watching the video, I asked the students to share with me their thoughts, in writing, about what Canada means to them.  All of the students shared about their love for our country and some of the things they especially liked about it.  Their understanding and appreciation for our country touched and impressed me.  Mostly because, having grown up overseas, I am very aware of the privilege, living in Canada is, but find it so difficult to communicate it to a child who has never experienced life any other way.  Dariyah offered to share her thoughts with you.  Enjoy!!

Canada is the best place to live because you can go ice skating, swimming and tobogganing.  You can make many friends too.  The best part about the Olympics was how everyone had so much fun!  Dariyus got to go to two games of hockey and Canada won four gold medals!  Canada is my life I know how to spell it, read it, say it and be a part of it and Canada is the one country I'm going to like forever.
by Dariyah


Thanks Dariyah for sharing your thoughts so beautifully!  :)

3 comments:

  1. I loved this writing, Dariyah! Your reflection of Canada and the Olympics brings a smile to my face and makes me feel proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Dariyah! I love your writing.From, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job Dariyah awesome explaining

    ReplyDelete